Monday, October 24, 2022

interesting friends

I've made a lot of really interestng friends in this business. That's actually a huge perk because I've got ten kids, spaced out over forty-four years, and I've become a little tired of school recitals, shuttling kids across town for this or that, my poor wife's endless complaints about things I've forgotten or neglected. It's good to know there's a whole world out there and people are doing interesting things.

Some are like me - have the ability to put together a novel, crunch it through the KDP system, come out with a kindle version and a paperback version, in some cases a hardback version, and then go out and present themselves as a novelist. It's actually kind of a miracle that I got this far, given the situation. At times I take a breath and look up and say, I'm ok, splayed out all over the ratings as I am with my 27 books.

I have no hardback copies, none at all. All my books now have both kindle and paperback version, but in some cases one or the other isn't doing so well. they at least exist. I have friends who produce only on kindle; others who just don't worry about paperback versions. They are somehow able to make a living anyway.

I can't in any way say I'm making a living. I had a good month and I'll be lucky to get a couple of steak dinners out of it. That's no problem though, I've been working all my life, and anything I get totally out of something I created myself, is well worth it just for the sake of having something to show for it.

But back to the friends. They are in scattered places and I'd love to meet them. Some are a little vague about exact location since their writing might offend some people - some are at the cutting edge of producing what is now allowed now that gay marriage is accepted. Sure, all that stuff was always out there. But now it's gone a little more mainstream and I admire the people that are cranking it out.

To them, I'm kind of old school. But at least I read their work, and like it. It's an interesting world. I'll keep you informed, got to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

change of direction

I have always had the luxury of being able to write whatever I've wanted to write. That's because I worked for over thirty years as ...